Re: complete newbie

From: Turkbear <john.g_at_dot.spamfree.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 15:33:45 -0600

[Quoted] "Jackie" <jackie_at_nospaplanet51.zzn.com> wrote:

>"Turkbear" <john.g_at_dot.spamfree.com> wrote in message
>> "Jackie" <jackie_at_nospaplanet51.zzn.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi I have installed oracle SQL*Plus: Release 8.1.7.0.0 and Oracle Reports
>> >6i - oracle1 to help me with my college work. However I cannot get into
>the
>> >report builder as I do not know what to put into the connect database
>field.
>> >I at present put system and manager in the user and password field for
>> >SQL*Plus: Release 8.1.7.0.0 but no matter what I put into the connect box
>> >get and error message unable to connect to the specified database.
>> >
>> >I installed oracle on my computer at home so that I could practice my
>> >college work but it is not much good if I cannot practice report
>building.
>> >Any ideas?
>> >Thanks Jackie
>> >

>> Did you, in addition to what you listed, actually create a database?
> Yes I did create a database it is called jackie. there is also one called
>orac created when I installed the program.
>
>Jackie
> [Quoted]
Did you run the Sqlnet configuration wizard and, if so, what alias did you assign to those instances - [Quoted] As a quick check, look into <youroraclehome>/network/admin for a file called tnsnames.ora and see what aliases are in it. Use one of those as the connect database entry. Received on Wed Mar 10 2004 - 22:33:45 CET

Original text of this message