Re: Discoverer Desktop vs Discoverer Plus

From: Michael Squires <mikes_at_cs.indiana.edu>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 18:23:03 +0000 (UTC)

In article <404ce0fe$1_5_at_news3.es.net>, Bruce P. Panowski <panowski_at_lanl.gov> wrote:
>Any good white papers/comparisons out there that anyone is aware of that
>compares the features of Discoverer Desktop vs Discoverer Plus?

There is an Oracle comparison that I found searching Technet, don't have the URL here.

There is a major difference in price; in our experience the Desktop/Java version is not as reliable and a bit more difficult to use (less efficient use of the desktop in particular) and seems to be quite a bit slower in our environment; however, our AS server is a bit underpowered compared to the workstations.

So far we've founda way of doing everything in Plus that can be done in Desktop, but it may take a bit of looking. All the documentation and instruction seems to use Desktop and not Plus, and the two are not the same.

At some point we're going to have to switch from the DS to AS versions, since it seems some features of the AS version aren't going to be ported back to the DS version (printing and graphing was mentioned in the Oracle white paper).

There was supposed to be a Discoverer Administration book published in January, but I haven't seen a trace of it.

Mike Squires

--

Mike Squires (mikes at cs.indiana.edu)     317 233 9456 (w) 812 333 6564 (h)
mikes at siralan.org             546 N Park Ridge Rd., Bloomington, IN 47408