Re: Oracle with Windows XP Home Edition

From: Hans Forbrich <hforbric_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 16:17:06 GMT

Kumaran wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm totally new to Oracle. I read in Oracle site that Oracle does not
> *certify* Windows XP Home Edition.
> What does it really means, Oracle does not recommend using oracle with XP
> Home ( for some user security reasons) or it is unsupported for XP Home
> Edition.
> I'm fully confused. Experts please help...
>
> Regards
> Kumaran

While I can not answer on behalf of Oracle, I interpret that to mean they [may] have encountered problems during their testing and decided that they would not fixing the problems.

Oracle will not provide support for an uncertified version. Any official request for support will likely be countered with 'move to a certified operating system'.

Some people have managed to get Oracle working in unsupported environments, including XP-Home and various Linux versions. Usually that takes some (or a lot of) fiddling or workaround. While OK for education, such a 'binder-twined' system is rarely suitable for professional/business deployment.

There are some who have had success with an uncertified operating system, and you might get some assistance here. However, be prepared that many of us will respond the same as Oracle. Remember the software is complex enough - deliberately introducing a questionable, unknown or known-to-be-bad factor can create a lot of extra (and unnecessary) complication. Many of us don't want to deal with that.

[Quoted] I note that the majority of people who use an uncertified operating system are also using the downloaded version of the database. The implications include: no patches for the user and no revenue for Oracle on that unlicensed copy.

HTH
/Hans Received on Fri Feb 27 2004 - 17:17:06 CET

Original text of this message