Re: choices regarding where to place code - in the database or middletier

From: Joe Weinstein <joeNOSPAM_at_bea.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 09:57:23 -0800

Alfredo Novoa wrote:

> "Noons" <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam> wrote in message news:<400e5175$0$4048$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>...
>

>>Minor correction: two-tier client-server is dead.  Multi-tier is STILL client-server!

> Indeed, it is all client-server. Tiers are physical, not logical.
> There are only two logical tiers: the client and the server.
>
>>Not that I agree: now that we finally have the gear (CPU and memory) and network
>>bandwidth to make two-tier viable, what does this industry go and do?  It kills it.

> Two tier was always viable, but the current DBMSs are fatally flawed.
>
> Regards
> Alfredo

Sure, logically. The client just wants what they want, and can consider everything they don't type in as 'the server'. I'm saying that physical client-server is dead, as least when your clients are coming in willy-nilly from the internet, and they want one screen to offer them stuff from your DBMS and maybe your partner's DBMSes, and to show messages from your messaging system etc. I'm interested to know what you mean by 'the current DBMSes are fatally flawed'. I think they are just good at doing one difficult-but crucial class of work, and should be protected to do that as fast as possible, by having separate independent CPUs and processes intercede between the internets'worth of browsers, and integrate those other DBMSes, and (blasphemy) keep a list of the countries in Europe handy for clients, rather than have them ask the DBMS etc.
Joe Received on Mon Jan 26 2004 - 18:57:23 CET

Original text of this message