Re: choices regarding where to place code - in the database or middletier

From: Daniel Morgan <>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 08:09:47 -0800

Stu Charlton wrote:

> Read the quote again: "I tend to council *against* complete DBMS
> independence."
> To me that says "you should use the features of the DBMS you have".
> Which is consistent with Joe's argument: not everything should be
> done in middleware, not everything should be done in the database.

> Cheers
> Stu

You are correct that Joe is not a middleware bigot. Neither am I a back-end bigot. but I interpret the sentence above that you quote exactly the same now as I did when I responded to it.

[Quoted] You either fully embrace a software and leverage it for all of its scalability, security, and performance features or you are leaving money [Quoted] on the table. The word "complete" has no value. How should it be interpreted ... Use 78.2% of the features but not all? Maybe only 74.5%. I know he used the word ... but it provides not a single bit of clarity. It still translates to "don't take maximum advantage of proprietary features".

Daniel Morgan
(replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)