Re: Crystal Reports used with an ORACLE DATABASE

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 11:47:08 -0800

Faraz wrote:
> Hi
>
> Could some one give me idea about the crystal reports?
> Is that the component of Visual Basic?
> What is the purpose of Crystal Reports?
> What version I can use with an oracle database?
> I like to use Crystal Reports with an ORACLE Database, could some one
> give me an idea how we use crystal reports with Oracle Database.
> What is the purpose of CRYSTAL REPORTS when we used with an ORACLE
> Database, because there is also an ORACLE componen "REPORTS"
> available.
>
> Thanks
>
> Faraz

Crystal is a totally separate product and not owned by Microsoft.

To create reports.

Any current version ... I'd suggest 8.5 rather than 9.0 as 9 requires the Crystal app server.

Crystal is far easier to use than any of Oracle's own reporting tools with the possible exception of Discoverer. You can connect to the database with ODBC (not recommended), with a native Oracle connection, and either directly to tables, views, and/or synonyms or with IN OUT parameters from procedures.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu