Re: Oracle Forms vs Visual Studio .Net

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 08:26:02 -0800

Jeff wrote:

>And as far as personal interests go, you may find yourself with

> skills that are not all that high in demand after all... because they're
> mostly all .NET shops (or whatever) out there. (That's not exactly smart
> either, Dan.)

[Quoted] [Quoted] Your point is well made. And in the extreme situation you would be correct. But in the case of what we are discussing here ... certainly we are not talking about a skill as widespread as VB or .NET because Microsoft is, after all, the world's largest software house.

[Quoted] But we are talking about software made by the second largest on the planet. Not the 10th or 100th ... the 2nd largest. It is core technology in Oracle's own applications and is extremely widespread in corporate, non-profit, and government usage. If you can make your argument successfully against it then one would, by extension, have to assume that knowing Linux, Solaris, HP/UX, AIX, SAP, PeopleSoft, Siebel, ERwin, etc. of even lesser import and not even worthy of discussion.

[Quoted] My point being your argument is valid only if taken to the extreme. And at that extreme I would agree with you.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu