Re: Oracle Forms vs Visual Studio .Net

From: Jeff <jeff_at_work.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 14:20:33 GMT

In article <6a8cdd95.0401221224.3f71d819_at_posting.google.com>, gforestieri9_at_yahoo.com (Greg Forestieri) wrote:

>I think that last question begs an answer that speaks to
>possibilities. One of them is that we might be doing something that
>either 'many' or 'few' others are doing. That does impact not only
>your ability to find a job but conversely the ability to find others
>to employ who can also do that job, at least if you are looking to
>hire. It works both ways. That would tend to be a factor in a the
>decision, at least it would be at my shop. And what motivates me
>might be motivating those seeking employment.

Greg, you make a very good point in that it goes both ways.

In my opinion, if you have the company's best interests in mind anyway, then if you choose to do something that few others are doing (vs. many, and where both options are reasonably viable), you are likely doing your shop a disservice by choosing the option that few are doing. For one, as you point out, the shop could have difficulty in finding replacement employees as current employees leave. Also, there is the difficulty in finding and maintaining support... new versions and patches (from Oracle or M$, in this case), books, education/training, 3rd-party utilities, etc. The shop could soon find their selves essentially "orphaned" and having to redo systems all over again. And as far as personal interests go, you may find yourself with [Quoted] skills that are not all that high in demand after all... because they're mostly all .NET shops (or whatever) out there. (That's not exactly smart either, Dan.) Received on Fri Jan 23 2004 - 15:20:33 CET

Original text of this message