Re: Forms 6i Many non-functional windows opening at start

From: Smiley <anoniemke888getridofthis_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 20:22:44 +0100

Daniel Morgan wrote:
> Michel G. Rainville wrote:

[Quoted] >> Has anyone experienced repeating blank windows opening apparently
>> without end when starting an Oracle Forms 6i application under Windows
>> XP. This is a local installation (Forms 6.0.8.23.2)?
>>
>> It looks like the outer (MDI) window is opening, with the usual
>> background, but then repeating indefinitely.
>>
>> Has anyone had this experience?
>>
>> Mike Rainville
>> Montreal, Canada

> I've had it. Forms 6i can be kludged to work with XP but one must
> remember that XP stands for eXtra Problems. 6i is not certified to run
> on XP and XP was intended it seems to break products ... even
> Microsoft's own to force upgrading to their newest versions and thus
> keep the revenue flowing.

AFAIK 6i (at least 6.0.8.23.2, which is Patch 14 I believe) IS certified to run on XP. You just need to download Forms & Reports 6i Release 2 as the initial install (June 2003) and then install at least Patch 13.

I installed it (6i + Patch 14) at a clients' site last Monday without any problems.
They disabled all the visual XP settings (rounded window corners and such) and it's working OK.
At another client we installed it on XP too, and they did not disable the XP visuals and they haven't had any problems either (so far... ;-) )

Hth,

Ron Received on Thu Jan 22 2004 - 20:22:44 CET

Original text of this message