Re: choices regarding where to place code - in the database or middle tier

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 20 Jan 2004 23:40:27 -0800

"Joe" <joelax_at_dbdirections.com> wrote in message news:<Y7IOb.20178$ko5.19870_at_nwrddc01.gnilink.net>...

> Over the last several versions of Oracle, developers have been provided with
> a pretty revolutionary idea for a database product - namely the ability to
> write code that used to belong in the middle tier and store it in the
> database. I'm referring here to the ability to write stored procedures in
> Java.

[Quoted] You gotta be joking! A "revolutionary idea"? Where the heck have you been in the last 15 years??? It's only been possible in Oracle since about 1990 or thereabouts... Oh yes, Java is NOT the only way to code, in case you haven't noticed.

For starters: there is NO such thing as "code that used to belong in the middle tier"! That is an invention of middle tier vendors that has NEVER been proven as valid in real application. Code NEVER belonged in the middle tier until the concept of multi tier was invented, about 6 or 7 years ago.

> Now of course, Microsoft with their SQL Server product is doing the same
> thing. The next version of SQL Server will allow programmers to write
> stored procedures in any of the .NET languages.

Amazing! Must be breakneck technology. Pity it's been done by just about any other serious database vendor for the last 10 years... But I'm quite sure now that M$ is jumping on the bandwagon, it will suddenly become a credible "industry standard" to store code in the database. Oh yeah, they've been able to do so with Transact-SQL for ages but what the hey...

> I'm interested in looking at the increased choices developers now have
> because of these new features in more depth ,developing some best practices
> on the subject, and possibly publishing an article on the topic.

[Quoted] Do a search on comp.databases.oracle.server for "design" and "J2EE". Then read.

> I personally am more experienced with SQL Server than with Oracle. I am
> therefore looking for someone who has been involved with making these
> choices in the Oracle environment who would like to collaborate with me on
> the subject.

[Quoted] Like I said: search on c.d.o.s.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam Received on Wed Jan 21 2004 - 08:40:27 CET

Original text of this message