Re: choices regarding where to place code - in the database or middle tier

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 15:42:46 -0800

[Quoted] Joe Weinstein wrote:

> However, that dbms-specific level should be as narrow and
> controllable/switchable
> as possible. J2EE standards help there.
> Joe
>

>> Just my 2 cents
>>
>> Daniel

[Quoted] I appreciate your opinion and your honesty that your perspective comes from selling that middle tier but I completely disagree.

[Quoted] The 'lets push more bytes down the pipe and across all those routers' thinking is not going to lead to performance. You may be scalable but performance will suffer. And you will be no more scalable than a thinner client.

[Quoted] Render under to database everything you can do in the database and let the middle tier do what it does best ... fail-over, load levelling, and serving up the front-end.

[Quoted] Try tuning all that rotten SQL coming from those fat front-ends sometime and you will understand why those here that have experience with PeopleSoft, SAP, Baan, and Siebel are remarkably unhappy.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu