Re: Report6i: Order by CLOB column?

From: Tiago Rocha <please.see.link.at.signature.for.email.address_at_zaz.com.br>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 14:32:14 -0300

[Quoted] On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 07:39:54 -0800, Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote:

>Users the bane of our existance. ;-)
>
>Rather than trying to create deprecated LONGs or whatever ... have your
>end-users clearly define what they intend by sorting. Then, with that
>criteria in hand use the DBMS_LOB built-in package to create a
>pseudo-column that you can use in the ORDER BY clause.

Creating longs is the last thing I want to do... I have bad experience from using them back when DB was 7.x... Well, the report just show an error log from an import of a text file. I did a little Forms program to do what sql loader could do, but in a user friendly mode, using text_io, errors goes to an error log table... The user say that it's faster to check the error log if the error messages are in alpha order...

Thanks for answering!

--
Tiago Rocha
Recife - Brasil