Re: Report6i: Order by CLOB column?

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 10:51:28 -0500

"Tiago Rocha" <please.see.link.at.signature.for.email.address_at_zaz.com.br> wrote in message news:qinqvv44svojplmsmiqm74aj5msbr0qmso_at_4ax.com...
| Hi,
|
| I have a very simple report made with Reports6i, report is fine, but
| user wants that it be ordered by the clob column, but clob column
| cannot be used on a order by... Does anyone knows any trick or will I
| have to convert the CLOB to LONG?
|
| Could not find an answer browsing metalink...
|
| DB is 8.1.7
|
| thanks in advance.
| --
| Tiago Rocha
| Recife - Brasil
| www.diariodastrilhas.cjb.net

converting to LONG wouldn't work -- can sort on LONGs in 8.1.7 (or 9.2)

[Quoted] however, you can order by wrapping the CLOB in UTL_RAW.CAST_TO_VARCHAR2( DBMS_LOB.SUBSTR( ) ) calls -- and limiting the length of the substring to the number of characters that would be significant in the sort

--
Mark C. Stock
mcstock -> enquery(dot)com