Re: Permission denied executing sqlplus on Windows

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2004 09:34:38 -0800

Rick Denoire wrote:
> [...]
> that anything is wrong with Oracle)
>
> Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote:
>

>>What you are doing wrong:
>>
>>1. Didn't identify operating system software and version

> Windows 2000
>

>>2. Didn't identify Oracle version and edition

> Oracle 9.2.0.1
>

>>3. Didn't post the exact error message so anyone can tell what went wrong.

> If starting sqlplusw from the "Start->Execute" box:
> "File sqlplusw (or one of its components) not found.
> Check that the path and filename information are right are that all
> necessary library components are available"
>
> If starting sqlplusw including its path, I get a box, warning me:
> "You may not have all necessary permissions in order to be able to use
> all features of this program. You can execute this program as a
> different account or as LAPTOP1\rico".
>
> Here, I can click on one of two buttons, the first one corresponds to
> the credentials active at this very time, the second includes some
> fields to put the credentials - the "Administrator" name is already
> put there.
>
> If I choose the active credentials of the user "rico", I get a message
> telling me that "The access to the given device, path or file has been
> denied".
>
> If I choose the Administrator account and put the password, everything
> works fine.
>
> Starting any other tool gives similar errors, which are caused by the
> user not having the correct environment set and/or not having
> permission at the OS level to access the files. I already KNOW that. I
> just don't understand why this happens. The user rico has the
> appropriate Registry keys set including ORACLE_HOME, ORACLE_SID etc.
> as far as I can see.
>
> I don't want to force the availability of Oracle to normal users by
> changing access rights and hacking the Registry as the local
> Administrator. My problem is not to try to fix this in this particular
> situation, but to understand why this happened.
>
> Oracle and an example DB were installed by the local Administrator.
> Everything runs locally, no network involved. This is a very simple
> setup. The DB has only been used to import statspack data from another
> DB into the perfstat schema in order to investigate something.
>

>>4. Didn't post the commands you entered that generated the message.

> See above.
>

>>We don't even know if you started the database and the listener.

> Yes, everything is started and can be used - but only by the
> Administrator account.
>

> I have installed Oracle on different Windows versions before without
> having this problem - and believe me, I have read the installation
> procedure, which states clearly that setting up the variables and
> creating the ORA_DBA group occurs automatically under Windows. No one
> has been put in the ORA_DBA group, nothing has been tweaked etc.
>
> I must have done a very, very stupid error.

[Quoted] To diagnose problems it is best to not use Windows GUI.

[Quoted] Go to a DOS prompt, navigate to the Oracle BIN directory and perform the following:

  1. lsnrctl status
  2. if not started lsnrctl start
  3. sqlplus /nolog
  4. conn / as sysdba
  5. select count(*) from tab$;
  6. if database not started shutdown followed by startup

Record any error messages.

The above assumes you are logged onto the machine as the same Windows account as the one that installed the Oracle software.

Check in Control Panel, Users and Passwords, and make sure the Windows account you are using is a member of the ORA_DBA group.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
(replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)