Re: Oracle DBA Studio, almost useful

From: Jarmo <jarmo_at_jarmo.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 18:03:13 -0500

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1069538212.71223_at_yasure...
> Jarmo wrote:
>
> ... you wouldn't make it three weeks in my classes with my students.

You would lose your shirt on that bet but Oracle administration is not my goal; writing software that manipulates a trivial Oracle database is. The software should be complete in less time than your class would take to complete -- it would clearly be inappropriate for me to even attempt to become as Oracle-savvy as your students will doubtless become. Good luck to them, but I am not in that market.

> Here was the curriculum during those first three weeks:
>
> User defined data types
> Anydata Datatype
> Nested Tables
> VArrays
> Collections
> PL/SQL Tables
> Constructors
> Type Methods
> Rank
> Rollup
> DBMS_REDEFINITION
If any one of these things becomes relevant to the task at hand then I shall read about it. But I strongly doubt that they will given the relative simplicity of my database requirements.

> My students, and those like them, will have you working at Burger King
> pretty soon if you don't develop and intense desire to continue your
> education. Consider this fair warning.

[Quoted] I applaud your attempts to set me on the path to Oracle enlightenment but they are misplaced -- I don't care to, or need to, know about such things. All I need to know at this point is how to create a few trivial tables containing basic types (integers and strings) so that I may write and test some software. Sorry if that wasn't clear from the outset.