Re: Query tool for smart usersQ

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 09:07:11 -0800

Lee wrote:

> I have some fairly tech friendly users who would like to be able to do
> their own SQL queries.
>
> Two problems:
> 1. Can anyone suggest a good book on SQL (better yet, Oracle's flavor of
> SQL) that might be appropriate for people with
> a technical mind set but pretty much zero background in databases,
> Oracle, query languages, etc,
>
> 2. Natrurally we can set them (the users, I mean) with sql*plus BUT
> thats pretty spartan. They would be using wintel clients to access our
> remote UNIX server.
> Can anyone suggest a better tool, either Oracle or thrird party? If
> third party its got to be cheap (GJ Linker's SQL*XL
> qualifies, for example)
>
> If Oracle, it has to be already bundled in with Oracle 8i enterprize
> edition, hence "free" i.e. already paid for out of existing budget.
>
> Thanx in advance

Given the users level of expertise ... a very small number it appears ... my advice would depend on whether they are querying against a data warehouse or production data.

If production data I'd suggest Discoverer or Business Objects with someone competent putting together the end-user layer and providing training.

If against a data warehouse those two tools are still good choices but for those with more skill, or a willingness to learn I'd suggest Crystal Reports.

The danger with handing a SQL interface and a book over to the untrained is that they will quickly teach you how many different ways it is possible to create a Cartesian join.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu