Re: Installed Oracle, how to create 1st database?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 08:57:08 -0800

Jarmo wrote:

> "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_ x.washington.edu> wrote in message
>

>>Well anyone that took a day to create a database in Oracle clearly
>>spent 23.75 hours trying to figure out how to do what they could
>>have learned by reading the installation instructions.

> Actually it was "install the server software on Linux (3 times, because the
> 1st 2 times failed), install the client software on Windows, *and* create
> the database". Do you read the owner's manual from front to back every time
> you rent a new car? No, because you don't have to and nor should you.

I rent cars I know how to drive. I don't rent an 18 wheeler.

[Quoted] [Quoted] When I interview prospective DBAs I always start the interview with a question similar to the following.

"If I handed you a CD with the latest release of the Oracle database to install on a server running HP/UX 11 what steps would you take to install it."

The only part of the answer I care about is "Read the installation instructions."

If I don't hear that ... they don't get the job.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
(replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)