Re: Rapid development tool for Web based DB application needed

From: Rick Denoire <100.17706_at_germanynet.de>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 23:53:13 +0100

[Quoted] Norman Dunbar <Norman_at_RE-MO-VE.BountifulSolutions.co.uk> wrote:

>There is a 'sort of' RAD in this whereby you use your HTML building RAD
>tool to build the web pages and use special tags to embed bits from the
>database. When the page is made, you use the loadpsp commanline utility to
>convert the HTML into DBMS.HTM calls and the special stuff into calls to
>the database for data.

This is very interesting, indeed. If I understand you right, the HTML code ends up as PL/SQL code installed inside the DB (which can be exported/imported, backed up, restored etc. along with the DB itself). Fine!

[Quoted] How difficult is it to learn the "proprietary" bits to integrate the SQL commands into the HTML code?

>In defence of loadpsp I have to say that the code it builds is (a) PL/SQL
>and (b) about as badly written as it gets, however, once I looked at it a
>couple of times, I figured it out and applied some proper code writing
>standards to it, I did away with loadpsp and just wrote plain PL/SQL
>procedures, functions, packages etc and got the job done.

[Quoted] Wait, that is not "rapid" any more. I wouldn't care about the style or quality of the PL/SQL code generated, I don't see a performance issue here. Seems to be more a matter of taste. By the way, can such PL/SQL code be converted back to the original HTML? Or should one keep the original versions of the code in order to do further development, bug fixing, etc.?

>I was usinf the Apache system installed by 8.1.7 by the way - I have heard
>that there might be problems manually installing mod_plsql into a 'normal'
>Apache setup.

[Quoted] Small drawback for me. Never had to deal to Oracle's own Apache. I suppose that I will have to install something, meaning that I will have to shutdown the DB, meaning that...

[Quoted] Does this DBMS.HTM/loadpsp method still exist in Oracle 9?

Bye
Rick Denoire Received on Thu Nov 20 2003 - 23:53:13 CET

Original text of this message