Re: Q: col widths in sql in ora 9

From: Malcolm Dew-Jones <yf110_at_vtn1.victoria.tc.ca>
Date: 14 Nov 2003 10:51:45 -0800

Frank (fbortel_at_nescape.net) wrote:

: Must have misinterpreted the question.

: The behavior used to be:
: - Width or the data, or
: - Width or the column Header
: whichever was greater.

: It seems the behaviour is changed to use the actual column_name as
: basis for width, not the column header...

I was wrong when I said that. The widths were similar by coincidence, and I assumed that was what was happening. It is also not specific to v9, as I found some other v9 database and they do not do this, so it's just that one database.

: At least one bug was filed (2092801), and this had to do with
: cursor_sharing. 1981077 reports your problem, and is closed
: as not a bug - has to do with UTF (multibyte language) in the db;
: try using substrb
: --
: Regards, Frank van Bortel

Yes, thank you. substrb solves this and also works on the other systems just like substr. I have not needed to worry about the multibyte stuff before on oracle so never thought about that.

As for the lookups, (bug 2092801 etc,) I appreciate the time spent. I never seem to find what I need on the oracle site, I'm just too clueless to use the correct search terms I guess. Received on Fri Nov 14 2003 - 19:51:45 CET

Original text of this message