Re: Personal Oracle

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 19:42:47 GMT

"Anna C. Dent" wrote:

> Marek Gazda wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Please could you help me?
> > I installed Personal Oracle 8.0.4 on win98.
> > How could I connect to local database by ODBC driver.
> > When I go to ODBC administrator and chooise "ORACLE ODBC Driver", I can't
> > configure database source, because when I click Add - do nothing.
> > What I need to do, which tools is require. I installed ODBC driver and JDBC
> > with Personal Oracle.
> > Please help.

First off - is there any particular reason for using 8.0.4?

There have been a few enhancements, bug fixes, standards 'conformances', and miscellaneous other adjustments in the Oracle product since 1998. If possible I'd encourage upgrading Oracle 8i (8.1.7) or even 9i. Oracle9i Release 1 (9.0.x) IS compatible & certified with Win98. There is even a set of documentation available specifically for Win98. Sadly support has officially stopped with 9.0 and it's highly unlikely that 9iR2 will install or run under Win98.

> With Personal Oracle network connections are NOT supported/included.
> It is a "personal" database & meant only to be accessed via the
> system upon which it is installed. Therefore no SQL*Net support is
> NOT required or exists.

Personal Oracle is intended as a single user system and is licensed by named user. There is no reason or requirement to have the database/instance on the same system as the user. It makes perfect sense, especially for a single person company (e.g.: an IT consultancy), to have Personal Oracle installed on a single 'database' machine and the one user accessing the same database from the 'development' machine, the separate 'admin.' machine and the separate 'demo' machine. As far as I can tell, that connectivity is permitted under the license, as long as the 'One Named Plus User per Database' rule is maintained.

Under Win98, the listener is installed by default, but not required or active.

As far as I can tell, it is possible (and permitted) to interact with the database over a network. For more info - check ORACONCT in metalink.

--
/Hans
[mailto:`echo $from" | sed "s/yahoo/telusplanet/g"`]