Re: Help, how to login oracle DBA's operating system account

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2003 23:13:27 -0800

Hans Forbrich wrote:
Daniel Morgan wrote:

yj wrote:

Hi,

I just installed oracle 9i database, and want to use data mining
function. From a paper, i know i need intall oracle9i data mining.
Before installation, i have log in to my oracle DBA's operating system
account.

But I have no idea where the login page is.  Thanks.

Rather than assuming that Oracle is a Microsoft product ... why don't
you either

(A) RTFabulousManuals
or
(B) Actually describe what you are referring to. I've been working with
Oracle for 14
years and not once have ever seen a login page.

Ain't that the 'security' screen you get when you click on 'SQL*Plus'
under the Application Development environment in the Start Menu's Oracle
Home Program list?

Very similar to the 'page' that magically pops up in the CMD box when
you type sqlplus.  Most people get past that one by typing
'SYS/CHANGE_ON_INSTALL', thereby getting exactly what they deserve -
unlimited access to the equivalent of ADMINISTRATOR.  Which is about the
same as giving someone the keys to that thar big gas/petrol-hauling
truck without a drivers license or even basic instructions - heck, how
difficult could it be?

(Anyone who doesn't change the superuser's password on install gets
exactly what they deserve!)

At this point I have no reason to believe yj has read a single page of the installation guide.
I'm still trying to figure out what he thinks he is doing. Because so far every indication is
that he stuck the CDs into the machine and just walked away.
--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu