Displaying Thai Buddha NLS_Calendar with American NLS_Date_Language

From: DannyM <dannyjm_at_aol.com>
Date: 31 Oct 2003 01:18:42 -0800

Hi

[Quoted] I am have difficulties displaying dates in the NLS_DATE_LANGUAGE I specify.

When

NLS_CALENDAR = Thai Buddha
NLS_DATE_FORMAT = DD-Month-YYYY
NLS_DATE_LANGUAGE = AMERICAN

select sysdate from dual;

SYSDATE

31-_at_@$@#-2546

(where the _at_@$@# is the month written properly in Thai (I just cannot
display in this message)

However, the result should be

SYSDATE

31-October-2546

(this is the correct date in Thailand and equivalent to 31-Oct-2003 in
the Gregorian Calendar)

Also, the statement

select to_char(sysdate, 'DD-Mon-YYYY', 'nls_date_language = american') from dual;

TO_CHAR(SYSDATE,'DD-'

31-_at_@$@#-2546

So, it seems as if the NLS_DATE_LANGUAGE has no effect on the Thai Buddha Calendar. If I switch the calendar back to Gregorian I can use the NLS_DATE_LANGUAGE to switch between English, French, etc display of weekdays and months.

I see a few posts on Oracle's web site about having difficulties displaying "Asian Calendars" in western languages. No soultions were give..

Has anyone experienced this or have a work around.

Thanks,

Dan Received on Fri Oct 31 2003 - 10:18:42 CET

Original text of this message