Re: Client Installation doesn't start

From: Smiley <anoniemke888noway_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 17:38:52 +0100

"Toralf Hauspurg" <hau_at_jena.de> wrote in message news:v2pvpvoiijcn0djckllvjt69ag4bk9qs6r_at_4ax.com...
> Hi all,
> I'm trying to install an Oracle Client 8.1.7 on a W2k Server box. But
> after I start the setup.exe from CD or local there happens nothing. If
> I start the setup exe from ..\install\win32 sometimes the first screen
> appears and after a click on Install the screen disappears and it
> happens nothing. I've installed this client on W2k Workstations and
> WinNT Workstations again and again and it runs fine.
> What is wrong with the W2k Server Installation?
> regards
> Toralf Hauspurg

Sounds like the Pentium 4 problem.
Here's the fix:

  1. Copy the contents of the \install directory on your CD-ROM to a temporary directory on your hard disk.
  2. Search for all copies of the 'symcjit.dll' file both in and under the directory from Step 1, and rename them to 'symcjit.old'.
  3. Navigate to the directory you created in Step 1, and open the 'oraparam.ini' file for editing. Please note this file is write-protected, and the properties of the file must be changed to allow writing before editing.
  4. Change the JRE_MEMORY_OPTIONS parameter to:

    JRE_MEMORY_OPTIONS=-nojit -ms64m -mx128m

5. Save the oraparam.ini file.
6. Navigate to the win32 subdirectory, under the directory you used in Step 1, and run the setup.exe program.

Hth,

Ron Received on Wed Oct 29 2003 - 17:38:52 CET

Original text of this message