Re: Problem with Oracle 8.1.7 Client Install

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 15:32:19 -0700

duffymo wrote:

>I'm trying to install the Oracle 8.1.7 client on a Windows 2000
>version 5.0 SP 4 PC. I had Oracle 9.2.0.1 client installed, but I
>uninstalled it and got rid of the Oracle directory, so everything
>should have been clean.
>
>I got the client by downloading a 200MB ZIP file from the Oracle Web
>site - no CD. I unzipped the contents to a temp directory. At first
>I had problems running the install/setup.exe. It would sit there
>after I double clicked it.
>
>I did a search of the Google forums and found this:
>
>http://groups.google.com/groups?q=8.1.7+client+install+failure&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=tq709l8l3vf429%40news.demon.nl&rnum=2
>
>I thought my problems were solved. I changed the paths in my
>oraparam.ini and changed the setting JRE_MEMORY_OPTIONS to -nojit
>-ms16m -mx32m. The Universal Installer came to life at last.
>
>I was happy until the Net8 Configuration Assistant install failed
>without giving details. It's inoperable now. The s'ware keeps trying
>to access a CD ROM, and I don't have one.
>
>Worse, I can't uninstall using the OUI anymore! It, too, keeps trying
>to get to a CD.
>
>I've made a mess of things. Can anybody tell me how to get out of
>this and right my machine? Thanks - MOD

Uninstall again.
Clean out the registry entries under HK_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/ORACLE Clean out the Oracle directory under PROGRAM FILES.

Try again unless you have a Pentium IV in which case you need to go to http://tahiti.oracle.com and look up "Pentium IV"

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu