Re: WTF is this Oracle jinitiator plug-in crap?

From: Andy Hardy <junkmail_at_[127.0.0.1]>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 01:13:26 +0100

In message <20a02d3.0310081510.622b74d_at_posting.google.com> , Willy Kreim <willykk_at_my-deja.com> writes
>Is Oracle releasing their own Java VM? Why?
>WTF is this "Java Initiator Plug-in" ?

You could always Google to find out... or go to one of the Oracle sites...

>Where I download a HUGE "Oracle Jinitiator Plug-in, version 1.3.1.9"
>while I watch the installation process do its thing, I notice it's
>installing files for what looks like a complete Java vm!, with
>java.exe, javaw.exe, java.dll and so on!.

Looks like... but isn't...

>But what's even worse: IT DOESN'T WORK.

Yes it does... it's just that the site you mention is telling you to download the wrong version, go complain to them or get hold of the version that they are asking for.

>A quick visit to Bugzilla.mozilla.org shows that the last version that
>worked with the Jinitiator plug-in was Mozilla 1.1 or Netscape 7.0.

Not quite true. After 4.x, Netscape gets a little broken and you have to manually copy the npjinit*.dll from the jnitiator directory to your 'plugins'.

>So anybody using Mozilla 1.4 or Netscape 7.1 is F-U-C-K-E-D.

So... jinitiator worked with a release of Mozilla and Netscape, the developers of Mozilla and Netscape change *their* code so that it stops working properly and that is an Oracle problem?

>Why can't Oracle fix their act and at least MAINTAIN the shit that
>they release? Haven't they heard that Mozilla 1.4 has been out for a
>while?

And is used by at least two other people...

Anyway, jinitiator works fine with my MozillaFirebird setup, once the DLL is copied.

--
Andy Hardy. PGP ID: 0xA62A4849