WTF is this Oracle jinitiator plug-in crap?

From: Willy Kreim <willykk_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 8 Oct 2003 16:10:44 -0700

[Quoted] Is Oracle releasing their own Java VM? Why? WTF is this "Java Initiator Plug-in" ?
How is this different from, say, Sun's latest J2SE 1.4.2_01 (Java2, v1.4.2_01) java plug-in?

I use Mozilla 1.4, and Netscape 7.1 (same code base).

I tried using both to access this home page: http://crm.hutchison.com.ar/dev60cgi/f60cgi?config=menu

with the default Sun JVM, but I get a message saying I need a plug-in. So I click on the icon and was redirected to: http://crm.hutchison.com.ar/jinitiator/us/jinit_download.htm

[Quoted] Where I download a HUGE "Oracle Jinitiator Plug-in, version 1.3.1.9" while I watch the installation process do its thing, I notice it's installing files for what looks like a complete Java vm!, with java.exe, javaw.exe, java.dll and so on!.

Why can't Oracle use the default Sun Java VM and plug-in? Why re-invent the wheel? Why pollute the users' browsers with this shit?

[Quoted] But what's even worse: IT DOESN'T WORK. Even after installation has succeded and about:plugins shows "Oracle Jinitiator 1.3.1.9" as installed and enabled, the web page
http://crm.hutchison.com.ar/dev60cgi/f60cgi?config=menu still shows I need to "install the plug-in"

[Quoted] A quick visit to Bugzilla.mozilla.org shows that the last version that worked with the Jinitiator plug-in was Mozilla 1.1 or Netscape 7.0.

[Quoted] So anybody using Mozilla 1.4 or Netscape 7.1 is F-U-C-K-E-D.

[Quoted] Why can't Oracle fix their act and at least MAINTAIN the shit that they release? Haven't they heard that Mozilla 1.4 has been out for a while?

Oh well... typical Oracle.

Remember "Oracle Powerbrowser"? (Oracle's own internet browser in the early days of the net). It sucked SO bad that Mosaic 1.0 was great in comparison...

Willy Received on Thu Oct 09 2003 - 01:10:44 CEST

Original text of this message