Re: Oracle Applications on Linux

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 14:00:18 GMT

"Steven C. Kondolf" wrote:

> We currently run Oracle Applications 11.0.3 on an HPUX9000 server
> running ver 11.0 of the o/s and 8.0.5 of the db. We plan on upgrading
> to Apps 11i on either 8i or 9i db sometime next year. We would also
> look to upgrade the server. One of the configurations we're
> considering is dropping the HP box and going with Dell/Linux.

You make statemnts about 'the server'. When you move to 11i you might want to change configuration somewhat and deploy on multiple servers - one for the database and one or more for the application. Or you will need to consider a honking-big server.

Nothing wrong with mixing and matching - database on HP and middle tier on Linux (or vice versa). Smaller boxes, less cost (at the hw level). When you run out of steam in the middle tier, add boxes. Then you can take one app server down for maintenance without taking application down.

> Not being familiar with this configuration, I'm curious as to comments
> regarding this setup. It appears Oracle is pushing linux (from what
> little I know about it) but I'm wondering what other have experienced
> especially running on an intel-based system.

[Quoted] [Quoted] Personal experience - database & app server (middle tier) is decent **IF** on a certified configuration (eg: running the appropriate version of Red Hat or UnitedLinux). No experience of Applications.

--
/Hans
[mailto:`echo $from" | sed "s/yahoo/telusplanet/g"`]