H Tree performance problems

From: Chris Boyle <cboyle_at_hargray.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 20:07:28 -0400

Forms 6.0.8.20.1 (aka 6i)
Database 9.2.0.2.0
[Quoted] [Quoted] I am working with the built in hierarchal tree item and am encountering absolutely horrible performance with it. It takes 3 times linger to display the data than the same query being executed in SQL plus.

SELECT
   -1, LEVEL,name,NULL,org_id
    FROM SOURCES
    START WITH org_id_parent IS NULL
    CONNECT BY PRIOR org_id = org_id_parent    ORDER siblings BY name

There is an index on the name, org_id_parent and org_id columns and statistics have been gathered recently. I get a fairly good explain plan but the hold up seems to be in the actual generation of the tree object within the form itself. I have tried the node by node building solution I found on Metalink (139859.1) but much of the data in this particular table is at level one so I only found a minor performance improvement. Has anyone else encountered this problem with using the Htree item? If so, what did you do to overcome it? The only alternative seems to be designing my own tree-like object to replicate the functionality but without the performance degradation. Has anyone else done this? If so, can you offer some suggestions? Received on Fri Sep 19 2003 - 02:07:28 CEST

Original text of this message