Re: Dummy questions regarding Developer 2000

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 00:02:27 -0700

mycnet wrote:

>Recently our company have some problems with the applications that were
>developed using Oracle Forms & reports 2000 about 5 years ago. The last
>programmer that we hired has managed to troubleshoot the applications
>error that we have. Then, he left.
>
>The new programmer that we have now tells me that the applications
>cannot be changed as we do not have the source code.

Seems reasonable. Why don't you?

>I am shocked and surprised to hear this as I have not mentioned anyone
>talked about the source code since I joined this company. Hence please
>advise me,

You should be shocked but not surprised.

>1. Do we need to source code to trouble shoot problems with the
> application?

Absolutely. Without it you have nothing of value.

>2. What are the next alternative if we do not hve the source code?

Hire someone good to rebuild the application from scratch. Or at least as much of it as is required to get by.

>3. The ex-programmer has managed to fix some errors by writing and
> running some intermediary program or new file, is that the reason why
> he doesn't need the source code?

Some things can be fixed in the back end and that, presumably is what he did. Other may require changes to the forms. And without the source code your are dea. I'd be searching for anything on hard drives or backup tapes with a .FMB extension.

Contact me off-line and I may be able to offer you some assistance through the University.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu