OLAP Recomendation

From: Rico Cali <ricocali_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 29 Aug 2003 20:59:47 -0700

Can anyone recomend an OLAP engine that is similar to Oracle express or I guess they call it ORACLE9I/OLAP.

What I'm looking for is an OLAP engine where you can specify a measure to it's dimensions. For example, you have a measure called "Distance" which is dimensioned by "OriginDestination". There are also other dimensions in this cube such as "DATE" etc... The distance between an origin and destination will never change no matter which days it is. Therefore the "distance" measure should only be dimensioned by "ORIGINDESTINATION" and not "DATE" dimension.

The problem with most OLAP engines (Essbase) is that every measure is dimensioned by every dimension in the cube. This causes serious sparsity.

I would stick with ORACLE/OLAP but they are so tied to Java and our environment is .NET but then again MS OLAP (Analysis Services) really sucks. So I'm looking for an OLAP engine that will tie into .NET with the criteria I mentioned above.

I would like to be able to talk to the OLAP engine via web-services so that it doesn't matter what client I use nor does the OLAP engine care. I glimpsed at "Bi Beans" for ORACLE but it doesn't appear to be a web-service. It looks like a service with Java all over it but I'm really confused to what kind of service it is.

Any recommendation would be deeply appreciated

-Rico Received on Sat Aug 30 2003 - 05:59:47 CEST

Original text of this message