Re: Net8 / OID installation

From: Harald Maier <maierh_at_myself.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 13:38:42 +0200

Stephen Roach writes:

> I have Oracle8i running under RedHat7.3 and I recently networked my
> WinME box to it. Now I want to run some Oracle development tools on
> the ME box over the network but I'm not sure how to get
> started. Yeah, I did RTFM but I don't really understand the options.
>
> As far as I can tell, I need Net8 running on both sides and LDAP on
> the server. Is that right?

LDAP is an option but not necessary. Assuming that you have installed the Oracle client software on your Windows ME box, then you need to do the following. On the server side start the listener program:

  server $ lsnrctl start

Note the database is dynamically registered so you don't need to edit the $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/listener.ora file.

On the client side you should edit the tnsnames.ora and add an entry for your database on the server. A good method to do this is to use netca or netmgr on the server side. After you have added the database to the tnsnames.ora file, test the entry as follwos

  server $ sqlplus scott/tiger_at_<tns-name-entry>

If all works fine ftp the file to your Windows box and place it to the $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin directory and test again the connection with

  client $ sqlplus scott/tiger_at_<tns-name-entry>

Above an example how the entry in tnsnames.ora should look. To verify this use the following command:

  server $ lsnrctl services

Note the service reported by lsnrctl should be the same as the 'service_name' in the tnsnames.ora.

,----[ lsnrctl output ]

`----

,----[ tnsnames.ora ]

| NINE =
|   (DESCRIPTION =
|     (ADDRESS_LIST =
|       (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = athene)(PORT = 1521))
|     )
|     (CONNECT_DATA = (SERVICE_NAME = nine.impos.de))
|   )

`----

Harald Received on Wed Aug 27 2003 - 13:38:42 CEST

Original text of this message