Re: I can attach in SQL Server, but can I in Oracle?

From: Frank <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 14:35:51 +0200

Ron Fluegge wrote:

> First, let me apologize for the probably "simple and basic" question, but I
> have searched both Google and Deja without success.
>
> I have a commercial application that I am finishing in VS.NET that connects
> with both SQL Server and Oracle databases -- the client gets to choose one
> of the following to store the data in: Access, SQL Server 7 or 2000, or
> Oracle 8i or 9i. The development has gone well and I can read/write to any
> of the 5 options successfully during development.
>
> I have installed the developer versions of SQL Server 7 and 2000 and Oracle
> 8i and 9i.
>
> The application runs just fine. I have been creating the "master" databases
> in SQL Server and then "uploading" them into Oracle using the MS DTS app.
> Then I switch the "pointer" in my application so that it reads the data from
> the Oracle DBs and it also works just fine.
>
> However, now I'm getting ready to create the distribution CDs and I realized
> that I have a problem...<G>.
>
> With the SQL Server databases, I can distribute the two required database
> files and then either run SP_ATTACH_DB in SQL 7 or interactively in SQL 2000
> in order to "attach" the databases to the Server. Works great.
>
> I have tried to understand how to do the same thing in Oracle. I suspect
> that since I have the developer versions of the Oracle software that I don't
> have all of the tools to do what I need to do. When I attempt to import or
> export the tablespaces it says something about "the wizard can only be
> launched when the application is connected to the Oracle Management Server
> (OMS)."
>
> As a result, I'm at a loss to understand what it is I need to do. I've gone
> through as much online as I can find and I have several Oracle 8i and 9i
> books, but this leaves me mystified.
>
> Essentially what I need to do is the following:
>
> (1) Create copies of the tablespace (database in SQL Server terminology)
> required for the application (not only the schema, but also one "table"
> contains about 5,000 records that need to be a part of the installation so
> it appears to be more than a SQL script to create the tables)
>
> (2) Copy the files created in (1) to the distribution CD
>
> (3) Clients then copy the files created in (1) to their own Oracle server
> and then "attach" these files to the database instance so that the
> application can then access the tables.
>
> Please understand that I may not be using the correct terminology for the
> Oracle databases and tables -- I apologize.

> Thanks.
>
> Ron Fluegge

I cannot get myself to read all of the thread, having read some of the first messages. So, maybe I'm restating something brought up earlier.

Apart from all the good advice about Oracle not being SQL Server (that goes vice versa!) it seems to me you want: 1) scripts to create your model in Oracle 2) Data inserts (you mention one table of 5000 records somewhere)

Have you been looking at the migration workbench? If you do not have your data model scripted (which I doubt), it can do it for you. Also, it will create data dumps and the sql*loader control files to enable efficient loads.

And the beauty of that is - you can have it scrutinized by any IT rep/DBA, etc, to make sure your scripts do not violate whatever standards implemented.
A point I rather like...

--
Regards, Frank van Bortel