Re: Oracle report client vs Crystal report client

From: TurkBear <john.greco_at_dot.state.mn.us>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 11:06:58 -0500

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote:

>dingxi_at_yahoo.com wrote:
>
>> Hi, all,
>>
>> We have many crystal reports here, and recently we plan to move over
>> to oracle reports due to some license issue. However, i found some
>> funtions in crystal report client are not available in oracle reports
>> client, such as the following:
>>
>> 1. in crystal report client, end users can view the list of available
>> reports and the time when reports are launched, also whether the
>> reports are sucessful or not. I failed to find the similar features in
>> oracle reports.
>
>Correct.
>

>> 2. in crystal report client, end users can view their own privileges,
>> whether they can run some reports or not, while oracle reports put
>> everything under the admin interface, which end users don't have
>> access to.
>
>Correct.
>

>> I am sure oracle reports have some valuable features which need to be
>> digged out, so please input your comments, thanks.
>>
>> mike
>
>In addition Crystal also allows you to execute back-end stored procedures.
>Something shockingly missing in Oracle Reports.
>
>That Oracle didn't make reports similar to Forms is a huge missed
>opportunity. Reports isn't object oriented, has almost no programming
>interface, and is a nightmare when it comes to manipulating frames. If it
>were my money ... I'd pay the dollars to Seagate.

I wholeheartedly agree - Crystal Decisions ( soon to be owned by Business Objects) makes a far superior reporting tool than Oracle ( and even Oracle will admit that, if pressed ) - in addition, their Crystal Enterprise product provides one of the most flexible and controllable web deployment system for reports that I have come across in 15 years of trying report generating software..

( I am not now, nor have I ever been, a member of the Comm - oops sorry, old habit-, an employee of Crystal Decisions, just a very satisfied user..)

Pay the money, it will be cheaper than the time you will need to spend to get what you want from Oracle's reporting methods, even if you could... Received on Tue Aug 12 2003 - 18:06:58 CEST

Original text of this message