Re: I can attach in SQL Server, but can I in Oracle?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 16:47:00 -0700

Ron Fluegge wrote:

> Maximus,
>
> Having dealt with enough clients' I/T folks over the years, I have to agree
> with Daniel that it is better to create a method that their own I/T folks
> can implement (feel very comfortable with) than to "automate" the
> installation too far -- or I'm not going to make a sale.
>
> Ron
>
> "Maximus" <qweqwe_at_qwqwewq.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote in message

> how

> > > The Oracle software installation can not be done by your software. It
> must
> > be
> > > done as an independent step by a competent DBA working with a competent
> > > SysAdmin. From that point forward you can use a simple ASCII file script
> > > build the system tablespace, other tablespaces, create users, create
> > roles,
> > > create tables, populate them, etc. And it doesn't require documentation
> > > figure out how to do this.
> > >
> > > Go to$ORACLE_HOME/admin/.../scripts on your server and the scripts for
> > database
> > > creation and tablespace builds are there: Just modify them. To create
> > tables,
> > > views, procedures, and populate them with data the scripts are at
> > > $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin. Look specifically at sql.bsq, catalog.sql,
> > catproc.sql
> > > to see how.
> > >
> > > This isn't rocket science. It is elementary school and any Oracle shop
> > will know
> > > how it is done and expect to see it in this way.
> > >
> > > In fact many Oracle shops will refuse to let you install if you don't do
> > it this
> > > way because they will want to sign an NDA and review the scripts before
> > letting
> > > you run them on their server. I for one have never allowed a blind
> > installation
> > > on a server. If a vendor insists on doing that ... they lost the sale.
> >
> > I gather Ron's intention is an automated way to install his application on
> > an Oracle server. Why does one need the services of both a DBA and an
> > administrator to do this? For example, if he is using ODBC/ADO, the
> > Microsoft Oracle driver will allow him to execute native Oracle SQL
> > commands, making it possible to script the entire creation of schema,
> > populate tables, grant rights, create objects... whatever necessary, and
> > completely without the services of a DBA or administrator.

Thanks. I don't think anyone would claim that Oracle's own installation isn't automated. And it relies entirely on scripted ASCII files to create the database. It is that installation process of which we are most familiar and is most reassuring when someone asks to put software on one of our servers.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu