Re: I can attach in SQL Server, but can I in Oracle?

From: Ron Fluegge <rmflugge_at_swbell.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2003 17:40:05 GMT

Daniel,

I have been to http://tahiti.oracle.com and am still at a loss about how to [Quoted] do the specific task.

As best I can determine from the responses to date for the Oracle installs, it appears that creating SQL scripts to create the tables and load the data is floating to the top of the list based on "ease of installation". I've tried to understand software like TOAD, SQLDump, etc. to make sure I can create the required scripts -- this may include manually modifying the scripts to reflect any syntactical differences between what Oracle requires and the generated script.

Have you any comments or recommendations on SQL script generators? I looked on every site I could find and it appears that these two might work (I know that SQLDump is primarily aimed at SQL Server, but it appears that it can generate a script for the INSERTs that can be modified.). I also found scripts that read through a table and generate INSERTs, but the testing I've done so far leads me to believe that either TOAD or SQLDump would be better.

I checked out the book you recommended and Tom has a new release of the book due out this month from Apress (August 13th). The previous version is no longer in print.

It's 1328 pages according to Apress ... looks like I'll have a lot to read. <G> I'll order it online today.

Many thanks for the recommendation.

Ron

http://tahiti.oracle.com