Re: I can attach in SQL Server, but can I in Oracle?

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2003 17:29:39 GMT

Ron Fluegge wrote:

> Daniel,
>

> This is not counting the Oracle help and doc files installed with both 8i
> and 9i that I have searched and attempted to understand as well. I have
> read every MS/MDSN/Visual Studio/.NET Mag article regarding connecting with
> Oracle from the 1.0 and 1.1 versions of the Framework that I could find --
> some of which were written by Oracle staff. Could I have read more? Yes.

[Quoted] Jumping into the middle .....

The point of "SQL Server vs Oracle design" has been raised a few times - let me [Quoted] restate it this way: "In spite of many attempts/frameworks/methods/patterns to [Quoted] provide universal RDBMS independance, the fundemental design differences of the [Quoted] RDBMSs can cause unexpected situations to occur under varying load, data-size [Quoted] and/or dataset conditions. Many software developers have developed towards a [Quoted] single RDBMS or framework which appears to have been acceptable in a test harness, and have found that a significant change in environment has caused [Quoted] exceptional results."

The above is just suggesting you keep your eyes wide open: I've had many discussions with developers after they've designed toward a specific pattern and [Quoted] then having difficulty scaling that pattern. The most common issue tends to be [Quoted] designers developing towards SQL Server for a certain load size, switching to [Quoted] Oracle to handle much larger loads, then not understanding why the system doesn't respond [in a linear scale].

Hope this is not true in your case. Received on Sat Aug 09 2003 - 19:29:39 CEST

Original text of this message