Re: I can attach in SQL Server, but can I in Oracle?

From: jhking <jhking_at_airmail.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 15:30:33 -0500

[Quoted] I am not a DBA, but perhaps this will be instructive or, alternatively, so stupid it causes a real DBA to pop off with the correct answer. Assuming any client who buys the Oracle version of your application has an 8i/9i instance you could always just do an exp(ort) and send them the exp file.
Assuming you're a decent guy you'd tell them how your tablespaces were configured so s/he could do the same on his/her box. If I've misunderstood, and you're trying to run the application from your installation CD rom then (I think) there's trouble brewing. I know that years ago the default installation of Oracle Designer was delivered as an exp file that the user could imp back into a database so this is not just me talking out the wrong orifice.

Ron Fluegge wrote:
> As a follow-up let me again re-iterate, the application is fully functional
> and DOES ALREADY WORK with Oracle 8i and 9i on my development machines using
> the developer versions of them. I have both Oracle 8i running quite well on
> one development machine and Oracle 9i running on another (along with SQL
> Server 2000 on the same machine) -- developer versions.
>
> I readily admit that I am a developer -- not a DBA. That's the reason for
> posting the request for information here. And I have quite successfully
> written a single datalayer that accesses all 5 DBMS from a single source
> file using the managed data providers in VS.NET 2003.
>
> I have successfully created all of the Microsoft databases such that they
> can be very "easily" installed on client machines.
>
> The only thing that is lacking is the method outlined in my original posting
> to get the Oracle 8i and 9i on to the distribution CD and installed on the
> clients' machines -- hopefully without having to resort to very long SQL
> scripts -- because of the 5,000+ data records that have to be included in
> one of the tables.
>
> Despite Sybrand's response, I hope that there are others here who are
> willing to provide relevant information.
>
> Again, any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Ron
>

> "Sybrand Bakker" <gooiditweg_at_nospam.demon.nl> wrote in message
>

>>On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 18:00:28 GMT, "Ron Fluegge" <rmflugge_at_swbell.net>
>>wrote:
>>

>>>First, let me apologize for the probably "simple and basic" question, but

[Quoted] [Quoted] >>>have searched both Google and Deja without success.

>>>I have a commercial application that I am finishing in VS.NET that

> connects
>
>>>with both SQL Server and Oracle databases -- the client gets to choose

> one

[Quoted] [Quoted] >>>of the following to store the data in:  Access, SQL Server 7 or 2000, or
>>>Oracle 8i or 9i.  The development has gone well and I can read/write to

> any

[Quoted] >>>of the 5 options successfully during development.

>>>I have installed the developer versions of SQL Server 7 and 2000 and

> Oracle

[Quoted] >>>8i and 9i.

>>>The application runs just fine.  I have been creating the "master"

> databases

[Quoted] >>>in SQL Server and then "uploading" them into Oracle using the MS DTS app.
>>>Then I switch the "pointer" in my application so that it reads the data

> from

[Quoted] >>>the Oracle DBs and it also works just fine.

>>>However, now I'm getting ready to create the distribution CDs and I

> realized

[Quoted] >>>that I have a problem...<G>.

>>>With the SQL Server databases, I can distribute the two required database
>>>files and then either run SP_ATTACH_DB in SQL 7 or interactively in SQL

> 2000

[Quoted] >>>in order to "attach" the databases to the Server.  Works great.

[Quoted] >>>I have tried to understand how to do the same thing in Oracle.  I suspect
>>>that since I have the developer versions of the Oracle software that I

> don't
>
>>>have all of the tools to do what I need to do.  When I attempt to import

> or

[Quoted] [Quoted] >>>export the tablespaces it says something about "the wizard can only be
>>>launched when the application is connected to the Oracle Management

> Server
>
>>>(OMS)."

[Quoted] >>>As a result, I'm at a loss to understand what it is I need to do.  I've

> gone

[Quoted] >>>through as much online as I can find and I have several Oracle 8i and 9i
>>>books, but this leaves me mystified.
>>>
>>>Essentially what I need to do is the following:

[Quoted] >>>(1) Create copies of the tablespace (database in SQL Server terminology)
>>>required for the application (not only the schema, but also one "table"
>>>contains about 5,000 records that need to be a part of the installation

> so

[Quoted] [Quoted] >>>it appears to be more than a SQL script to create the tables)

>>>(2) Copy the files created in (1) to the distribution CD
>>>
>>>(3) Clients then copy the files created in (1) to their own Oracle server
>>>and then "attach" these files to the database instance so that the
>>>application can then access the tables.

[Quoted] >>>Please understand that I may not be using the correct terminology for the
[Quoted] [Quoted] >>>Oracle databases and tables -- I apologize.

[Quoted] >>>Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.