Re: I can attach in SQL Server, but can I in Oracle?

From: Ron Fluegge <rmflugge_at_swbell.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 19:42:21 GMT

[Quoted] [Quoted] As a follow-up let me again re-iterate, the application is fully functional [Quoted] [Quoted] and DOES ALREADY WORK with Oracle 8i and 9i on my development machines using [Quoted] [Quoted] the developer versions of them. I have both Oracle 8i running quite well on [Quoted] one development machine and Oracle 9i running on another (along with SQL Server 2000 on the same machine) -- developer versions.

I readily admit that I am a developer -- not a DBA. That's the reason for [Quoted] posting the request for information here. And I have quite successfully written a single datalayer that accesses all 5 DBMS from a single source file using the managed data providers in VS.NET 2003.

I have successfully created all of the Microsoft databases such that they [Quoted] can be very "easily" installed on client machines.

The only thing that is lacking is the method outlined in my original posting [Quoted] to get the Oracle 8i and 9i on to the distribution CD and installed on the [Quoted] clients' machines -- hopefully without having to resort to very long SQL scripts -- because of the 5,000+ data records that have to be included in one of the tables.

Despite Sybrand's response, I hope that there are others here who are willing to provide relevant information.

Again, any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Ron

"Sybrand Bakker" <gooiditweg_at_nospam.demon.nl> wrote in message news:lop7jv0nqknstg8t08gi70j2siccug7f17_at_4ax.com...
> On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 18:00:28 GMT, "Ron Fluegge" <rmflugge_at_swbell.net>
> wrote:
>
> >First, let me apologize for the probably "simple and basic" question, but
> >have searched both Google and Deja without success.
> >
> >I have a commercial application that I am finishing in VS.NET that
connects
> >with both SQL Server and Oracle databases -- the client gets to choose
one
> >of the following to store the data in: Access, SQL Server 7 or 2000, or
> >Oracle 8i or 9i. The development has gone well and I can read/write to
any
> >of the 5 options successfully during development.
> >
> >I have installed the developer versions of SQL Server 7 and 2000 and
Oracle
> >8i and 9i.
> >
> >The application runs just fine. I have been creating the "master"
databases
> >in SQL Server and then "uploading" them into Oracle using the MS DTS app.
> >Then I switch the "pointer" in my application so that it reads the data
from
> >the Oracle DBs and it also works just fine.
> >
> >However, now I'm getting ready to create the distribution CDs and I
realized
> >that I have a problem...<G>.
> >
> >With the SQL Server databases, I can distribute the two required database
> >files and then either run SP_ATTACH_DB in SQL 7 or interactively in SQL
2000
> >in order to "attach" the databases to the Server. Works great.
> >
> >I have tried to understand how to do the same thing in Oracle. I suspect
> >that since I have the developer versions of the Oracle software that I
don't
> >have all of the tools to do what I need to do. When I attempt to import
or
> >export the tablespaces it says something about "the wizard can only be
> >launched when the application is connected to the Oracle Management
Server