Re: Oracle Application Architecture

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 5 Aug 2003 13:52:29 -0700

Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net> wrote in message news:<3F2AEDC8.D7F3432D_at_telusplanet.net>...
> HockeyGuy wrote:
>
> > Lots of bright people in these newsgroups...
> >
> > I have oracle application (e-busiess) 11.5.3 and oracle DB 8.1.6 running on
> > one HP box and it is overloaded. I have a chance to use an AIX (IBM UNIX)
> > box to split the apps from the DB. To move the DB to AIX I need to upgrade
> > the 8.1.7.4.
>
> > Question - what do folks think about splitting the Oracle Apps from the
> > Database and putting the Apps on one server OS and the Database on another.
> > I know it will require testing - but how much more can it be just due to the
> > OS difference. Gezz, what is everyone/anyone opinion of splitting like
> > this anyway - I am really stuck and only have an AIX box to work with.
> > Suggestions????
>
> Multi machines, as far as I'm concerned, is the 'normal mode of operation'.
> Putting everything on one machine is growth-related suicide.
>
> The multi-box mode of operation has been extensively tested. If you as Oracle's
> Support group (open a TAR - this is a legitimate question as well) you will
> likely find a very quick & positive response.
>
> Oracle's applications use a n-tier architecture and it is designed to leverage
> different boxes for each tier. Most discussions I've been involved with around
> this with customers tend to be "Oracle & consultants arguing for multiple boxes"
> and "customer arguing for 1 big box - to minimize administration".
>
> Rumor has it, internal to Oracle they use many middle-tier machines and one
> RAC-based back-end 'tier'.
>
> Check your license agreement, but I suspect you'll find the multi-box
> architecture is to your benefit fiinancially as well (smaller boxes required).

Here's a screwier question, but I have been asked it:

W2K dual 800 processor with 9iAS and custom OLAP db, or put the 9iAS on a very old HP (but not too old for 64-bit)?

My initial gut-reaction was "send the HP to Larry for use as an anchor on his boat" and get some cheapo box to run 9iAS but... what do you all think? Unfortunately, Linux has been ruled out for the time being. Old HP and dual are licensed already and cost is paramount... db will be fed from larger, newer HP.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
It's not Napalm, it's a Mark 77 firebomb!  "It's no great way to die."