Re: Stand-Alone Rookie

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 08:24:19 -0700

Arthur wrote:

> Hello.
> I'm hoping that someone will spare me a couple of minutes on this.
> I have downloaded the latest version of the
> Oracle9i Developer Suite Release 2 (9.0.2.0.1) for Windows (NT/2000/XP)
>
> I have windows XP Home Ed. non networked.
>
> I have this in my tnsnames.ora
>
> # TNSNAMES.ORA Network Configuration File:
> C:\OraHome1\network\admin\tnsnames.ora
> # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.
>
> TALLY =
> (DESCRIPTION =
> (ADDRESS_LIST =
> (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = THost)(PORT = 1521))
> )
> (CONNECT_DATA =
> (SERVICE_NAME = TSid)
> )
> )
>
> But can't find a username/password/Host combination that works.
>
> Could someone tell me what I need to do to set up a database please?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Arthur.

[Quoted] First off understand that Oracle is not tested on supported on Home Edition [Quoted] of XP, only Professional so you may be in for a world of unexpected things happening. I'd suggest you get a real operating system for the machine ... W2K or Linux.

Go to c:\winnt\system32 and do the following: ping THost. If don't get a reply that is not the correct value for host. Go to c:\oracle\ora92\bin and do the following: ping TSid. If you don't get [Quoted] a reply note the exact error message
[Quoted] Also in oracle bin try lsnrctl status. If the listener is running you will get a response indicating how long it has been up.

If all is working try logging in as system/manager_at_TSid in SQL*Plus.

Report back, in full, all error codes and error messages: Don't just paraphrase them.

--
Daniel Morgan
[Quoted] damorgan_at_x.washington.edu