Re: Oracle Application Architecture

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2003 22:53:19 GMT

HockeyGuy wrote:

> Lots of bright people in these newsgroups...
>
> I have oracle application (e-busiess) 11.5.3 and oracle DB 8.1.6 running on
> one HP box and it is overloaded. I have a chance to use an AIX (IBM UNIX)
> box to split the apps from the DB. To move the DB to AIX I need to upgrade
> the 8.1.7.4.

> Question - what do folks think about splitting the Oracle Apps from the
> Database and putting the Apps on one server OS and the Database on another.
> I know it will require testing - but how much more can it be just due to the
> OS difference. Gezz, what is everyone/anyone opinion of splitting like
> this anyway - I am really stuck and only have an AIX box to work with.
> Suggestions????

[Quoted] Multi machines, as far as I'm concerned, is the 'normal mode of operation'. [Quoted] Putting everything on one machine is growth-related suicide.

The multi-box mode of operation has been extensively tested. If you as Oracle's [Quoted] Support group (open a TAR - this is a legitimate question as well) you will [Quoted] likely find a very quick & positive response.

Oracle's applications use a n-tier architecture and it is designed to leverage [Quoted] different boxes for each tier. Most discussions I've been involved with around [Quoted] this with customers tend to be "Oracle & consultants arguing for multiple boxes" [Quoted] and "customer arguing for 1 big box - to minimize administration".

Rumor has it, internal to Oracle they use many middle-tier machines and one [Quoted] RAC-based back-end 'tier'.

Check your license agreement, but I suspect you'll find the multi-box architecture is to your benefit fiinancially as well (smaller boxes required). Received on Sat Aug 02 2003 - 00:53:19 CEST

Original text of this message