Re: SQL*Plus TTITLE Incorrect on Last Page

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 16:08:36 -0700

Lisa Tracy wrote:

> I posted this request for help to comp.databases.oracle last week, but
> didn't receive any responses. I'm hoping the tools group might yield
> a suggestion or two. I know SQL*Plus isn't a very glamorous tool
> these days, but I'd really appreciate any help you can provide.
>
> I have an irritating little puzzle that I'd love suggestions for
> solving. I am using Oracle 8.0.4, and have a SQL*Plus report that
> gathers labor costs by project number for a given accounting period.
> The project number appears in the TTITLE of the report, like this:
>
> TTITLE LEFT 'PROJECT NUMBER: ' projno SKIP 1 - ...
>
> And of course I have a COLUMN definition like this:
>
> COLUMN project_no NEW_VALUE projno FORMAT A1 NOPRINT
>
> This report BREAK's on the project number, and on the report, with a
> page break between each project. And we COMPUTE the SUM of the labor
> costs by both project number, and for the report.
>
> The puzzle is this: The last page of the report doesn't contain any
> detailed data, only the total labor costs for the report's accounting
> period. But the TTITLE for this page still displays the project
> number from the previous page.
>
> Will I have to split the report total out into a separate query, with
> separately defined TTITLE, or is there a way to control the project
> number display (preferably leave it blank) for the last page of the
> report?
>
> Thanks for your help!!!

Yes. You can't change the title mid-report.

And while SQL*Plus may not be glamorous ... it beats heck out of many products on the market ... well except for writing reports. ;-)

I would suggest however that you dump 8.0.4. It is unsupported, will soon will be ~12 versions behind the current release and will not enhance your resume (except perhaps in the Netherlands).

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu