Re: Disabling Commit and Update

From: Alan Mills <Alan.Mills_at_xservices.pants.fujitsu.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 10:39:41 +0100

"Jim" <jim_esti_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:f0e3dc0b.0307220439.5d4dd7d0_at_posting.google.com...
> I am using Forms 5.
>

> I have have disabled the key-commit feature via a trigger.
>
> The issue remains that say a user re-queries or does some other action
> the form often ask if they would like to save the changes. I never
> want to allow the user a chance to save the changes by any onther
> means than the POST button provided.
>
> Here is exactly what I am doing.
> The user queries the table and then they can change selected values in
> the some columns. When they hit the post button it only looks at row
> that have changed and copies those into AUDIT if certian conditions
> are meet. If the conditions are not meet the row is rejected is
> reverted back to the orginal values while the other rows are updated
> on the primary table (and a copy is dropped into an audit table).
> The only way a row can be updated is if these certian conditions are
> reached. It works on a row by row case - not the entire table at once.
> This is why I can not have a general update or commit of the entire
> table. The post button processes only the rows that have changed from
> the orginal and if the new values is valid then it just updates that
> particualr row and places a copy in the audit table. Warnings are
> giving about the particular row(s) that can not be updated/audited.
>
> This is significantly different than just writting a simple on-update
> or on commit trigger. I know I could simiply could put the code
> behind the on-update, on-commit, etc but I would rather just diable
> those possiblites and only allow the changes to occur via the post
> button.

I've jumped in and out of this thread for a while. If I'm honest, I still remain unconvinced why standard commit processing triggers a cannot be used.

You could use PRE-UPDATE to revert the record back. It'll still update, but to itself so no harm done.

Maybe I need more information. You said that this is exactly what you are doing. How about quoting which triggers youare using.

I'm guessing that you want the button press because you have some retricted builtins in your code fro the record-by-record processing. Standard commit processing occurs record by record so why not use those?

As for the standard 'do you want to commit' message when you clear block.form etc. The last Forms project I worked on we had standard KEY triggers for each actions that would cause this and, if any changes were outstanding (i.el. the question would be asked) we ran our own code whcih was more along the lines of 'You will lose your changes if you do this. Are you sure?'. So no commit ever happened. Received on Tue Jul 29 2003 - 11:39:41 CEST

Original text of this message