Re: Personal Oracle for Windows XP

From: jaya <member34141_at_dbforums.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 19:30:26 +0000

Originally posted by Daniel Morgan
> Go to http://store.oracle.com/http://store.oracle.com
> and find out what is available.
>
> Daniel Morgan
>
> Richard Cranford wrote:
>
> > Couple of years ago I took some Oracle classes and the
> instructor let me borrow a
> > his Personal Oracle CD which I was able to install on my Win98
> machine. Can't
> > remember what version it was except that it was one of the
> earlier text-based
> > systems.
> >
> > Does anyone know where to get a version of Personal Oracle I can
> run on my new
> > WinXP machine just so's I can practice Oracle stuff while I'm
> waiting to get a job?
> > I tried downloading an Oracle 8i file from Oracle.Com, but it
> does not seem to want
> > to install itself on my XP machine.
> >
> > TIA
Oracle 8i is not certified on windows XP. Even if yes, it must be Windows XP Professional.

You can install Oracle8i on windows XP Home Edition, try like this:

1 - Copy your Oracle CD into hard disk in your machine. For example Copy from oracle8i CD into C:\Oracle\ ...

2 - Search the two files named Symcjit.dll on the D drive (where you have copied Oracle8i. You can found them in (example):

C:\Oracle\stage\Components\oracle.swd.jre\1.1.7.30\1 \DataFiles\Expanded\jre\win32\bin\symcjit.dll

or use search option in the c:\oracle directory to find 2 files symcjit.dll to

3 - Rename this file (Example): symcjit_back.dll (make sure to find two files and rename them)

4 - Execute the Oracle setup.exe from C:\Oracle\setup.exe