Re: Orbitz dumps RAC for better reliability

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 18 Jul 2003 04:13:19 -0700

Keith <nospam_at_nospam.com> wrote

> In my opinion, Oracle today is simply an organization of Marketeers and
> salespeople.

Ah.. the truth at last behind your attacks on Oracle.

And now for the sad news Keith.. We don't care about your opinion.

Why? 'cause we are technical professionals. We deal with software and hardware. Not with new age morality and political correctness in sales and marketing.

Fact is that _any_ organisation has their bunch of.. er.. well assholes. As you so aptly demonstrated. Several times. Oracle is no exception (did you think they got to the top rung of the global db ladder by being Mr Nice Guys?)

Fortunately, the vast majority of them are in marketing and sales. Which is exactly the people that we do not trust and ignore.

You want to us to take you seriously? Try and throw some technical comparisons around. Show us how you can do X better in PGSQL than what we can in Oracle. A good old fashioned techie p'ing contest where we see who has the largest and most flexibles tables, the best SQL, and the kewlest db engine.

[Quoted] Here's one at you. I run the following SQL (no hints, just vanilla flavoured SQL):
SELECT count(*) FROM very_large_table.

Less than 3 seconds laters (2.07 to be precise), I get an answer of 77.8 million rows.

There are no tricks (like pre-calculated totals). Just standard Oracle features. Table is partitioned. Table uses local indexes, including bitmap indexes.

Okay, now you pick your database of choice, and tell me how you can do it better and faster.

--
Billy