Re: Orbitz dumps RAC for better reliability

From: Nuno Souto <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 17 Jul 2003 22:49:18 -0700

[Quoted] Orville <hawaiian_at_bacon.com> wrote in message news:<Xns93BBCFD8D2F68hawaiianbaconcom_at_216.148.227.77>...

> Truth in advertising.

Contradiction in terms?

> Customer testimonials:
> "100% of the data was gone!"

[Quoted] What else? And look, it's not even clustered!

> 100% of the data was gone! From the shell if you went
> select * from company, postgres reports 0 tuples! (but returns

[Quoted] Look, this crap is based on Stonebraker's Ingres. Like the original, these idiots concentrated on "functionality" instead of making sure they had a solid data management engine.
Like the original, it loses data at the drop of a hat. Like the original, if a layer of serious data management is added the performance goes out the window.

> Please not I was running fsync off for this database.

[Quoted] He can run fsync until the cows come home. The problem is and has always been the total wanton disregard for data security from the Stonebraker mob. They don't have a SINGLE person with data management experience ANYWHERE in their group! All a bunch of academics with pretentious titles and even bigger egos, that's all.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam Received on Fri Jul 18 2003 - 07:49:18 CEST

Original text of this message