Re: Orbitz blames Oracle for site outage

From: Ryan Gaffuri <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: 17 Jul 2003 07:12:35 -0700

vslabs_at_onwe.co.za (Billy Verreynne) wrote in message news:<1a75df45.0307170257.253c9f18_at_posting.google.com>...
> Keith <nospam_at_nospam.com> wrote in message
>
> > So much for the 'Unbreakable' strategy..
>
> Duh?
>
> Re-read your sentence. *Strategy*. That implies not a product that
> cannot break, but an APPROACH that can deliver an unbreakable system
> implementation.
>
> > Last I heard, PostGreSQL is still serving up domain names for the .ORG
> > domain name registry.
>
> Last I heard, assholes are still being born. They just grow bigger as
> they get older.
>
> > Orbitz blames Oracle for site outage:
> > http://news.com.com/2100-1019_3-1026450.html?tag=fd_top
>
> And automatically you assume it is an Oracle issue?
>
> After an o/s upgrade to a Data Warehouse some years ago, we had all
> kinds of problems. Db just hanging and crashing.
>
> I spend some time with Oracle Support tracing the problem. It was a
> big issue. Mission critical corporate system down. It was escalated to
> the Munich Oracle Compotence Centre. The problem was traced... and
> turned out to have been caused by some friggen dumb jerk that forgot
> to install a kernel patch during the o/s upgrade. Async i/o was used
> by Oracle. And accepted by the kernel. But the kernel "forgot" to
> inform Oracle when the async i/o completed.
>
> Your posting kinda of remind me of that.. especially that friggen dumb
> jerk part.
>
> And this is btw not the exception.. I have many war stories about
> database downtime and crashes and errors. The vast majority of times
> it is caused by
> a) operating system bugs
> b) idiotic implementation that breaks not only Oracle strategies and
> rules, but common sense too
>
> When the shit hits the fan.. I prefer Oracle Support. And not
> Microsoft Support or OEM hardware vendor support (like IBM, ICL,
> Siemens, etc). The Oracle support guys I have had the pleassure to
> work with (locally and Europe), go beyond the extra mile.
>
> And this opinion is from bitter experience dealing with other support
> centres.

none of those articles state anything about what the problem is? nothing is unbreakable if you use it wrong. The only reason that article would be the least bit interesting to myself would be if there is a problem, what the problem is and where I can get information on either how to fix it or a work around. Other than that, I dont care.

I see these kinds of posts on Microsoft technical forums all the time. I believe Unbreakable was meant if you were using RAC. Which meant that if one server went down you could load balance to another. Of course its just marketing.

So your implying that because there might be a bug in Oracle, I should quit my job using Oracle take a lower paying job using some other database(and yes the other DBs do pay less and in many cases ALOT less) to prove some kind of point? Received on Thu Jul 17 2003 - 16:12:35 CEST

Original text of this message