Re: Intermedia

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 13:28:02 +0100

"Ludwig Maier" <dj_nail_at_gmx.net> wrote in message news:3f13ea6e$0$20558$91cee783_at_newsreader01.highway.telekom.at...
> hi folks!
>
> i've got the problem to maintain a oracle-text index wich is about 20gig
> big. what kind of packages or tool should i use to reorganize this index
and
> how can i look how many waste there's in my index?
> the main problem is the performance when searching documents with wildcard
> on the lefht side (like "*test*"), do you have any suggsestions on this?

Do you mean an OracleText index, or an index in Oracle on a character column? i.e

create index idx_test on tab(col); or
create index idx_test on tab(col) indextype is ctxsys.context;

If you are using a conventional index then your index will not be used for queries along the lines of

select a,b,c
from tab
where col like '%test%;

if you actually mean an Oracle text index then your query should be along the lines of

select a,b,c
from tab
where contains(col,'test') > 0;

--