Re: Data warehouse

From: Mark Rittman <markrittman_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 13:06:31 +0100

Daniela,

A typical data warehousing system would use the following;

Oracle 9i Database release 2 (no real point in going for an earlier version) - Optionally, the 9i OLAP option (to add MOLAP features to the database, and to enable the OLAP Catalog for BI Beans) - Optionally, the Partitioning Option - in all honesty you're going to want this given the size of most data warehouses and the need for fast response/loading times.

Oracle 9i Developer Suite release 2, which gives you Discoverer Desktop and Administrator, Reports Builder, JDeveloper and Warehouse Builder - in addition, download the latest versions of JDeveloper (9.0.3) and OWB (9.2) which, as upgrades, are included in the 9iDS license - download the BI Beans add-in to JDeveloper to develop thick and thin client OLAP applications.

If your output is then limited to client/server, you would probably want to buy some more Discoverer Desktop licenses to provide output to users, or use the PL/SQL Web Toolkit within 9i to display queries to users.

If you want to Web-enable your DW, then go for;

Oracle 9i Application Server 9.0.2.0.1, which includes Discoverer Plus and Viewer, Portal, Reports.Services, and the OC4J J2EE container for hosting BI Beans applications.
- If your output is limited to BI Beans applications (and you've purchased the neccessary 9i OLAP option to give you the OLAP Catalog), as a J2EE application, you could host it on any J2EE - compliant application server, such as Weblogic, or even JBoss / Apache Tomcat, although 9iAS is an easier 'fit'.

hope this helps
Mark Rittman
www.rittman.net