Re: SQL Tuning

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2003 21:53:57 GMT

Daniel Morgan wrote:

> I couldn't agree less.
>
> The CBO's decisions are intelligent and if you learn how it works, and use
> hints, blows away the performance of the RBO.

I think there is an exception to the above statement. You are making the assumption that the developer is actually capable of [thinking and] leveraging some of the non-simplistic features of the RDBMS.

In my experience, the majority of developers are not aware of things like bit-mapped indexex, function indexes, bitmap-join indexes, partitioning, IOTs, etc. Most still want to reinvent stuff like intermedia & context and auditing. (Support for this - look at how many 'features' like XA & constraints they are trying to introduce at the development language level.) Thus they still tend to design and code like we did in the 1980's - in which case the RBO *may* still be valid.

However, if they leverage virtually any feature that has been introduced since Oracle7.1, I tend to agree with your statement. Received on Sun Jul 06 2003 - 23:53:57 CEST

Original text of this message